Everyone knows how fun it is to get on a trampoline. They all know how fun it is to bounce on it and other activities that can be done with the rest of the family. But there are a lot more great things everyone would still be caught surprised to know about this cool device, too. A new trampoline mat can have all the new technology but how it came to be is a great mystery for many. So, to open people’s eyes, here is a quick lowdown about trampolines.
1. The trampoline’s grandfather is called the springboard. It was used by acrobats and other performers to leap high with little effort and do stunts with extra risk factor.
2. Later on, a French acrobat named du Trampoline helped develop the basics of what a trampoline has to have. He developed the spring suspension system the trampolines today use. He was the first one to adapt safety nets and the suspension system to make the earliest form of trampolines.
3. It wasn’t until the 1930s when the trampoline became famous. An American gymnast by the name of George Nissen developed the trampoline we all know today.
4. Trampolines weren’t made for entertainment at first. They were actually made for physical education in the armed forces. It was very important for pilot and air crew training because it helped the trainees with sensations and positions that they would feel in flight.
5. Unofficial trampoline games started in 1947 in the United States. A few years after, the official games started. Then later on, an international governing body was formed. They made the rules for each competition.
6. During the 1950s, visual therapists and special education experts use trampolines to improve vision, balance and coordination for their students. However it was removed from the physical education curriculum as they were considered dangerous and could cause fatal injuries.
7. In 1975, the mini trampoline, also known as a rebounder, started to be used as equipment for cardiovascular exercise. It is said to improve stamina, strength and coordination.
Those are just seven of the many things that make trampolines interesting. Now, every trampoline owner has more knowledge than just knowing where to buy a new trampoline mat. Trampolines are one of the things that have so much history and no one bothers to really know more about them. For something that has overcome world wars, it is great to know that trampolines are still the go-to equipment for entertainment.